Sunday 6 September 2015

Having a whale of a time in Wales!

While sitting on my sofa and guzzling some frozen mango and peach yoghurt, I find myself reminiscing about my summer holiday. In July I returned to Wales for the first time in almost two years. TWO YEARS! That’s almost as long as it took me to successfully navigate around Chaoyang Park (truthfully speaking, it’s still hit and miss as to whether I can efficiently maneuver from one place to another in that beast of a park!)   
Om Nom Nom!
Since coming back to Beijing, I haven’t had much time to write a blog entry about Wales, so I am going to use these last few hours of my four-day weekend (thanks to the parade marking the 70th anniversary of the end of Japanese occupation) to write about my wonderful summer experience…

The best part of being back home was of course seeing my family. Living in Beijing is great and apart from the high-pollution days, the only other negative about being here is the distance from loved ones.

Returning to my hometown was incredibly relaxing, going back to “normality” and a lifestyle, language and culture that I am completely familiar and comfortable with. The icing on the cake was being lucky enough to enjoy Tenby town during a sunny period, as this is when it is most beautiful.

I have to say that my favourite day of the summer holidays was visiting Caldey Island with my parents, sister, her boyfriend and my cousin. It was a sunny, clear day and so lovely to spend quality time with my relatives.

On our hike around the island, we were able to sample Caldey Island fudge, although my sister’s boyfriend Michael was crestfallen to discover that the monks of Caldey Island were not beavering away in the fudge factory. It was instead occupied by a horde of singing Oompa Loompas. Just joking, a group of youths were busily attending to the fudge making and selling. Michael was indeed disappointed that the cloaked monks were nowhere to be found for the entire duration on the island.
The new series of The Darling Buds Of May, coming 2016.
Walking around the cliff tops enabled us to take in fantastic views of Tenby, other areas of Pembrokeshire and beyond. After we rambled our way around the island, it was time to catch the boat back to the mainland.


Once we returned to Castle Beach, I munched on a Mr Whippy ice cream while we waited for the tide to recede far enough for us to visit St. Catherine’s Fort. It had been closed to the public since 1979 so I was extremely interested in taking a look inside this landmark that I have grown up seeing from afar.


The fort itself is still undergoing renovations, but it was super interesting to look inside, learn about the history of the building and listen to plans of how the fort will be utilised in the future. It also presented mum and I with the opportunity to take the following photo...

I really did have an amazing summer back home and too many fun memories to list in just one blog entry, so I will have to write more about it soon.

It was great to return to Surrey and enjoy a pub quiz with Mr and Mrs Mann and Mrs Breen. Naturally, Mrs Breen and I were victorious! 

My family decided to mark this special occasion of having all the family back together, with a traditional Christmas dinner…in July! Those midsummer glad tidings provided me with a roast dinner fix while also tending to my sweet tooth. Most importantly, I was able to spend it with my marvellous family!



Spending time back in Britain has definitely made me realise that I cannot wait another two years before my next return visit! 

Luckily I took a stash of Caldey Island chocolate back to China with me for a timely binge whilst I recollect my summer holiday...


Gia đình tôi ở xứ Wales đối với tôi thật đặc biệt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment