Friday 2 January 2015

再见2014年!

Goodbye 2014!
Happy New Year!

I have spent most of the Christmas holidays resting and reflecting on 2014. I enjoyed many things about last year. High on my list of happy memories has to be meeting my sister in Taipei, Taiwan and welcoming my parents to Beijing. I also travelled to old and new places and attended a special wedding ceremony.
Taipei, March 2014
Mutianyu Great Wall, June 2014

December was a whirlwind of a month with end of term festivities and an increased workload. I did however, have a weekend trip to Seoul in order to celebrate my friend Kate’s 30th birthday. It was great to be back and although it was a short visit, getting away from Beijing and seeing some familiar sights in Seoul reminded me of the adventures I had during my summer holiday. We had a walk around the city, munched on mandu (Korean dumplings) visited the N Seoul Tower, ate Korean barbecue and enjoyed the nightlife in a few bars.
Feeling scared in a cable car
Before leaving, we stumbled across a cake shop and I couldn’t contain my excitement when spying lemon meringue pies. It had been an incredibly long time since I devoured a lemon meringue pie. In pie years, I feel that probably 16 had passed since my sweet tooth was coated in the sweet, tangy gloop that only a lemon meringue pie can truly provide. I merrily took the pie (safely in a bag) back to the hotel where our taxi awaited.

Once we collected our luggage, we bundled our belongings into the taxi and were amazed/astonished/slightly scared to see that the interior of the taxi was plastered with images of our taxi driver and many of his previous customers. His entire taxi was festooned with tinsel, photographs and flashing lights. 

As I gathered my bearings and took in the surroundings, the taxi driver then declared, “I am a magician”. This is not something you would expect or even hope for on a journey to the airport. Reacting to this statement, I turned my gaze towards him, only to find that he had magically produced a winged beast out of thin air.

I wanted to pinch myself, but my massive duck-down coat prevented me from reaching any skin. Was it a real bird? The yellow monstrosity appeared to read my mind and hopped around the taxi driver’s fingers and eventually on to a little perch in order to prove there was a real-life bird inside our taxi.

“Does it poo in here?” I asked in bewilderment. I don’t know why this was the first thing to come out of my mouth, but I was carrying a precious lemon meringue pie and did not want it coming to any danger. My fears of being at the receiving end of a canary poop-attack were not allayed as the taxi driver merely laughed when I repeated my question.

Kate wanted to touch the bird, which in turn caused it to flutter its wings. I was rather worried this could encourage bowel movements and noticing my uneasy expression, the taxi driver used his magic in order for the bird to disappear (he placed it into the little bird bag he stashed by his side).


The taxi driver then proudly let me leaf through two photo albums and showed a video on his mobile phone of his appearance on Korean television. It seemed his main trick is transforming string into edible noodles. He also prided himself on the fact that during his magic show, he would become a Chinese, Japanese and American magician with a swift change of costume and using his rather impressive language skills. 

Truthfully, I was quite relieved he was focusing his concentration on driving while he let us watch his 20-minute video. The hour drive to the airport was a hilarious 60 minutes of constant laughing (except for Kate who was fast asleep - possibly due to the sensory overload). When we got out of the taxi, the driver asked to have his photograph with us. I can only hope that our faces now adorn his glove compartment by now. It was the perfect end to our weekend getaway.

However, behind the smiles in this photograph, there is a sad ending to this story. Somewhere during the journey to the airport, the lemon meringue pie got squashed in transit. From this harrowing experience I have learned that you can have your cake and eat it; as long as you eat it instantly.


New Year Goals
I don’t really want to create any New Year resolutions; promises which I am likely to forget or neglect and consequently feel bad about failing. Instead, I have decided to compile a “To-Do” list of things I want to achieve this year. That way, I will have some goals to work towards and if I don’t do them in 2015, I can aim to accomplish them in 2016!

  • Visit more places in Beijing. If visiting the China National Watermelon Museum last year taught me anything, it was that there are so many interesting places that I have yet to see in this gargantuan city. It is fun, sometimes educational and definitely makes long school terms more bearable! I sincerely hope that I will have visited the Summer Palace and The Peking Man Museum by the time I am counting down the seconds to 2016.
  • Visit more places outside of Beijing. In 2014, I was lucky to visit Taiwan, South Korea, Shanghai, Suzhou, Chongqing, Chengdu and Hanoi. The flights to these destinations were not too long and showed me that I can easily escape the smogfest of Beijing and have adventures in new places whilst giving my lungs a well-earned break.
  • Try new food. Not only dishes but even the snacks that can be found on the side of the street and at markets. 2014 was my first time to taste scorpion and seahorse. I feel that there is a whole menu of weird and semi-digestible treats to experience.
  • Eat more fruit. Nobody’s got time for scurvy.
  • Improve my Chinese language level. My current Chinese skills allow me to have a fairly comfortable life in Beijing but I want to build on speaking, reading, and listening. I will try to acquire HSK vocabulary lists and prepare for a test this year or next year. I reckon I will improve if I set myself these targets. For now, I will continue to write Chinese electronically, which is a great deal easier than attempting handwritten characters. I may take up Chinese calligraphy during retirement…haha.
Cho phép tôi chúc mừng bạn nhân dịp năm mới đến và xin gửi đến bạn những lời chúc tốt đẹp: Dồi dào sức khỏe và thịnh vượng.

5 comments:

  1. HOpe You achieve your New Year Goals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chi! What are your hopes for 2015? :)

      Delete
  2. U didnt mention the fact that you had a wonderful veggie meal in hanoi ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha already wrote a blog entry about that in July, Quy oi! :P

      Delete