Wednesday 29 April 2015

Beijing Birthday Shenanigans

Living away from one’s own country is often exciting, but sometimes the absence of home comforts and family can leave you with feelings of melancholy. So in order to avoid feeling blue on my birthday, I decided to dedicate the entire month of April to celebrating the anniversary of my birth. This basically meant that any activity that I deemed fun or interesting would, by default, be in honour of my birthday (when in reality it rarely was).


Another reason for wanting to milk the attention is because my birthday this year fell on a Wednesday. Who wants to join a midweek party? Nobody! Luckily, my students also remembered my birthday (perhaps the constant hints prevented any forgetfulness) and helped me to celebrate with a tower of cupcakes, oreos and Choco Pies. The chocolatey cylinders were adorned with candles, chocolate sauce and sprinkled with M&Ms, which I am told spelled out MR. D. (They do realise my surname is Cole, however they informed me that the “D” stood for Detention…no idea why…). 

After school, I went to a café with Kate and Becky, where a young girl serenaded me with a very cute, if not a little repetitive Happy Birthday greeting. After leaving the coffee shop, I was pelted with dust and dirt. Thankfully, it wasn’t the deed of a birthday-hating member of the public. Mother nature is a cruel mistress and as such, decided to pummel me with a grainy blast to the face. I later learned that I had been caught in one of Beijing’s worst sandstorms for many years. Nothing makes you feel special like a mouthful of sand.


For my actual birthday celebration, I invited some friends to my place. We ordered Chinese takeaway, (the REAL kind of Chinese takeaway!) played card games and ended the night at KTV. It was wonderful to spend the evening with my close friends, albeit a little poignant at times, as some of my friends will be leaving Beijing soon.




I was recently invited to a Chinese barbecue. This involved driving to the outskirts of Beijing, and barbecuing a variety of meats on sticks. 烤羊串儿 (lamb kebabs) are very popular in Beijing and usually coated in cumin. Anyone who knows me well will understand that I am a terrible Welshman, due to being a reluctant lamb-eater. But because I choose to believe that everyone had gone to all this effort for my extended birthday party, I felt obliged to partake in the excessive eating that took place that afternoon.




Finally, this event may not be connected to my birthday in any way, although it’s too amazing for me not to include it in this blog entry. This evening I met a robot that served me ice cream (let's refer to it as birthday ice cream). I stumbled across the Ice Cream Robot booth and saw that for a mere 10RMB, I could be served original, blueberry or mango ice cream. I excitedly paid the robot lady and watched in awe as she filled a small cup with ice cream, added blueberry sauce and a robot-handful of nuts. My inner-geek and outer-ice-cream-addict was overjoyed with such a treat. I feel that I may have to make many return visits!




Tôi đã có một bữa tiệc sinh nhật rất tuyệt. Tôi đã có một buổi tiệc ý nghĩa, vì bạn bè của tôi sẽ chuyển đi. Chúng tôi đã đi karaoke. Gần đây tôi đã ăn thịt nướng ở ngoài trời… ngon miệng và rẻ tiền.

Tối nay, tôi đã thấy một rôbốt phục vụ kem! Rất tuyệt!

No comments:

Post a Comment