Sunday 3 May 2015

Mike's Chomping Cheesy Chinese Chow Challenge #2 - Stinky Tofu


Spurred on by the success of my previous cheesy endeavour, I decided to take the Cheesy Chinese Chow Challenge to a new level. 

First of all, let me set the scene: If you walk around the streets of Beijing, it is highly likely that at some point you will encounter a smell that is displeasing to the nose. The unfriendly, uninviting and unenticing odour could stem from a smorgasbord of sources, but one strong contender for the overpowering smell may well be the unforgettable fragrance of stinky tofu. 

Stinky tofu (臭豆腐) is given its name for a good reason. The smell of the fermented tofu can be considered unappealing to many people. I have eaten it on a couple of occasions and the taste is far better than the smell suggests. It could almost be likened to the oxymoron of a terribly delicious smelly cheese. 

This idea got me thinking. Why just add cheddar to this smelly snack? Why have a stink when you can have a stench? I knew what had to be done. I bravely took the stinky tofu back to my apartment and carefully added slices of smelly blue cheese to the bowl. This experiment was not for the faint-hearted…or anyone with a sense of smell. 



As the cheese began to melt in the stinky tofu soup, the pong was almost unbearably overwhelming. My nose did not appreciate the situation I had created. I gingerly took a bite of tofu and a sip of the broth. To my astonishment, I had struck malodorous gold. It may have had a putrid aroma, but the taste was peculiarly palatable.

It has certainly given me food for thought. I will continue on my quest to add cheese to Chinese street food and snacks. Although perhaps next time, in order to give my poor nose some respite, I will try something with a slightly less offensive reek.


Gần đây, tôi đã ăn đậu phụ thối và pho mát xanh. Hôi quá...nhưng ngon =))

No comments:

Post a Comment