Wednesday 18 February 2015

A Chinese New Year Tale


This is my third Spring Festival in Beijing. I have attended New Year celebrations in various places and although fireworks always make an appearance; nothing can compare to the sheer volume and intensity of the pyrotechnics found in Beijing.

I’ve been lucky enough to never experience a warzone firsthand. However, the cacophony of rockets, firecrackers and other explosives echoing around the city for days, can sometimes give the impression that the city is under siege.

There is a traditional story, which explains the reasons for the excessive use of fire-flowers illuminating the sky and the barrage of booms that reverberate around the entire city. I have condensed and illustrated the story below:



Considering the endless rumbles I have heard so far, I think it’s safe to say that Nian will not be making a return appearance any time soon.

To the 3 questions I always seem to ask myself (yet already know the answer to) during Chinese New Year:

1) Should I eat more?
Yes. It's an important holiday. For goodness sake, sneak another dumpling - they're good luck so it would be silly not to!

2) Am I going to find a seat on the subway today?
YES!! With many people returning to their hometowns, Beijing encounters a mass exodus that provides those who stay in the city, with a convenient and comparatively quiet public transport service.
Seats?!!!
3) Hasn’t everyone used all of the fireworks yet?
No. The answer is always no. Even when you just want a quiet nap, there will be some onomatopoeic obscenity just waiting to blast in your ear.



Last night, I went to 后海 (Hòuhǎi) with my friend Liz. She has, what can only be described as a firework fetish and came bearing about one billion boxes of the bangers (only a slight exaggeration). Houhai was a beautiful setting to watch the fireworks light up the night sky while getting reflected in the lake.


Luckily, Liz was uber-prepared and brought masks along for both of us. The pollution levels had been low all day, but she knew that the sky would soon be inundated with gunpowder and smoke.

It was a fun evening and has certainly confirmed my fondness for one of China’s most important festivals of the year.

Bạn có xem màn trình diễn pháo hoa chào đón năm mới không? Ở Bắc Kinh, pháo hoa nổ tung thành một đám mưa tia lửa. Tối qua tôi đã ăn phở bò và nem rán…Chẹp chẹp~
Tôi đã học được Lễ Hội Mùa Xuân được tổ chức để xua đuổi tất cả linh hồn quỷ dữ của mùa đông...Chúc bạn một Năm Mới Thật Hạnh Phúc!

No comments:

Post a Comment