Sunday 8 February 2015

Man-Flu In The PRC

Some things are just more exciting when you are abroad. Being sick is not one of them. I recently got struck down with a cold and have been feeling suitably sorry for myself. Luckily, last summer, Mum left some ‘flu medicine and throat lozenges here for me in preparation for such a terrible event.

Despite my debilitated state, I decided that I should use this opportunity to discover the perfect cure to a Beijing cold, so that I can help others in my snotty situation. In the past, when I have suffered from a cold, Chinese colleagues have recommended that I drink lots of hot water. I feel like this is a perfectly reasonable and easy recommendation to follow. I was also told to try boiling pears with rock sugar to relieve some of the symptoms of a sore throat. However, this time my cold appears to leave me feeling too bone idle to search for said ingredients.

To get rid of my stuffy nose, I used some Tiger Balm, which I had brought back from my most recent trip to Vietnam. Today, I also decided to explore the pharmacy near to my apartment compound in order to find additional remedies. All in the name of science (and curiosity…and wanting to get rid of this cold).
Tiger Balm
Having previously used 风油精 (fēng yóu jīng), I decided to stock up on it at this challenging and harrowing time. Rubbing a little on your temples can relieve headaches and a stuffy nose. I also decided to try 西瓜霜(xīguā shuāng) which is a lozenge (imagine the weak love-child of a Trebor mint and a Fisherman’s Friend). 


After conducting this lengthy experiment and taking many ideas into consideration, I have come to the following conclusion. A Beijing cold is a cruel mistress. Any sufferer should heed this essential advice:

  • Get attention and sympathy from family and friends (whether in person or via the internet). 
  • Drink plenty of hot water (sometimes adding lemon and honey). 
  • Order in food (hot soup is always a welcome treat). 
  • Forage for some kind of menthol rub and/or lozenge. 
  • Get your grubby, germ-riddled mitts on cold/flu relief medicine. 
  • Treat yourself to marathon sleep sessions (with a very comfortable blanket). 
  • Slather your red-raw nostrils in a moisturising cream. 
Follow this plan to the last letter and you have yourself a cure for the Beijing cold. As I write this, I must say that I am beginning to feel better! Hurrah!

Tôi bị cảm nên ngạt mũi. Không có phương thuốc nào đáng tin cậy cho bệnh cảm lạnh. Tôi đã uống thuốc và ở trong nhà. Nước chanh nóng với mật ong đúng là thứ rất cần để chữa trị cảm cúm.

No comments:

Post a Comment