Monday 22 June 2015

Mike's Chomping Cheesy Chinese Chow Challenge #4 - Noodles




Bolstered by my successful baozi and cheese experiment, I felt it was time to try something wild and dangerous. A new and exciting taste sensation cannot be created if I always play it safe and never think outside the box. It’s not always cheap or easy to locate different types of cheese here in Beijing, but perhaps I was limiting myself by using cheddar in many of my investigations. I decided to put my tube of Parmesan cheese to good use. It had been sitting on my shelf for far too long.

I like a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on a delicious pasta dish, so I felt quite certain that it could enhance a snacking experience if used appropriately. Noodles are not so different to pasta, so once I had mentally prepared myself for this challenge, I went on a noodle hunt. 


My local noodle restaurant were unfortunately not selling 拉面 (hand-pulled noodles), however they did have 拌面 (board/block noodles) which is a tasty noodle soup with egg, meat and vegetables. 

I hungrily placed the noodles in a bowl and watched as the Parmesan cheese rained down on the flat noodles. I felt sure that I had a winning combination.


Slurping up the noodles, I have to admit that I was rather disappointed. The noodles are already full of flavour, unfortunately the Parmesan cheese became clumpy in the soup. The cheesy gloop helped me to understand that perhaps I should go back to cheddar cheese for my next cheesy challenge. It wasn't exactly a terrible taste, but it just didn't ignite my tastebuds in the way that I had hoped. I may have had a minor setback this time, but this small failure can only encourage me to continue on this cheesy mission.

Gần đây tôi đã ăn mì sợi và pho mát pác-ma. Vị của nó lạ quá! Lần tới tôi sẽ dùng pho mát dày!

No comments:

Post a Comment