Tuesday 30 June 2015

Mike's Chomping Cheesy Chinese Chow Challenge #5 – Chao Bing


Following the disappointment of my noodle and Parmesan Cheese experiment, I decided to go back to basics and use a mild cheddar cheese with one of my favourite fast food dishes; chao bing (炒饼). It may look like a noodle dish, but it is in fact strips of shredded pancake stir-fried with cabbage, egg, peppers and bean sprouts. It can also be stir fried with meat (肉炒饼). If you want chao bing without meat, ask for su chao bing (素炒饼). 


I collected a portion of chao bing from a local street stall and quickly made my way back to the apartment while the food was still hot. The chao bing from this particular stall is always tasty and a little bit spicy.



Once I grated the cheese onto the chao bing, I instantly knew that cheddar was the better choice of cheese in this situation. The Parmesan cheese would have to wait for another opportunity to redeem itself. The cheddar began to melt and after I had the first delicious bite, I breathed a sigh of relief – I had discovered a great pairing! My Cheesy Chinese Chow Mojo had returned!

After gobbling up the remaining cheesy chao bing, I made a promise to continue on the never-ending quest to find other Chinese cuisine that can be enhanced with the addition of cheese. 

Until next time, my fromage friends!

Tôi không biết “炒饼” bằng tiếng Việt là gì, nhưng nó là một món ngon.
炒饼 và phô mai bào ngon lắm!

No comments:

Post a Comment