Tuesday 22 July 2014

Noodle whipped

Today I had a bit of a "bubbly tummy". I don't like to point the finger of blame at anyone, but I have my suspicions about the aeroplane meal on the way to Hanoi.

In the morning, I met Anh Minh, Chi Dung and Chi Nhung. We had lunch together and I ate one of my favourite dishes; bún chả, which is grilled pork and noodles served with herbs and nước chấm (dipping sauce).

If I had to choose only one Vietnamese meal to eat for the rest of my life, it would probably be this. But I don't wish to dwell on the cruel,  imaginary world where I am forced to make such a decision. Anyway, what I am trying to say is, I like bún chả.

Afterwards, we escaped the heat outside and went to a cafe. Air conditioning is a blessing.

Later, I went for a walk around Hoàn Kiếm Lake. A group of about eight university students came to speak English with me. I was more than happy to help them practice and it was a good opportunity to brush-up on my now basic spoken Vietnamese. I felt quite proud to teach some of them Vietlish phrases, like 'No Star Where' ( Không sao đâu in English means no problem or never mind, but translating each word literally, results in No Star Where).

Finally, I ended the day by having dinner with Quy. We went to Minh Thủy's Family Restaurant. The chef is famous for being a contestant on Vietnam's Master Chef.

The restaurant offers Western and Vietnamese cuisine. We shared two types of spring rolls (nem) and I had phở bò (beef noodle soup). It was really tasty and the chef was very friendly. I have an inkling that the broth of a good pho dish has magical powers. Frankly, I would be a little suspicious of anyone that came to Vietnam and didn't try pho.


Quy then took me to a communist-style cafe where he told me about his recent adventure to North Korea. It seemed like he had a very interesting trip there.

Tomorrow I will visit Tam Đảo.


Hôm nay tôi thấy không được khỏe, nhưng tôi vẫn thích ăn uống và đi chơi với& bạn bè.

Tối nay, tôi đã nói chuyện với một nhóm sinh viên ở hồ Hoàn Kiếm. Họ muốn thực hành nói tiếng Anh. Tôi muốn phát triển kỹ năng tiếng Anh cho sinh viên. Tôi đã dạy họ về 'No Star Where( Không sao đâu), No Four Go (vô tư đi) và Lemon Question(Chanh hỏi=chảnh) ◑▂◐

Ngày mai tôi sẽ đi Tam Đảo.

No comments:

Post a Comment